Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Top Five

Instead of writing about something completely different that happened to me this week, this post has my Top Five's. These choices are current, not overall, choices. So for example, the things that are my favorite things this week might be replaced by new favorite things next week. (They aren't in any particular order, either.)

China Favorites
-adventure
-hanging out with Chinese friends
-riding my bike around the city
-local food
- still being a student
(Here's my Panda! Fully equipped: the basket, the bell, the blue)

Language Favorites
- no verb tenses
-no difference between singular and plural nouns
-pronouns are the same whether before or after the verb (there’s no difference between the word for “I” and the word for “me”)
-sometimes you don’t need the verb “to be”…you can just say the sentence without it, and it’s perfect grammar
-feeling successful in speaking Mandarin

Things I miss most
-Family and friends
-The smell of the fall season
-CoffeeHouse in Lincoln
-Barbecue and Mexican food
-Warm feet

Things I’m thankful for
-Good friends here
-Skype
-Books
-Adventure
-Patient people in communication

Least Favorites

-honking
-very sensitive car/motorcycle alarms
-riding the bus when it's packed
-being illiterate
-trying to find ingredients for western food

Thinking about literacy motivated me to learn more about it here in China. According to good old wikipedia, literacy is defined as recognizing 2,000 characters for workers (1,500 for farmers), but an educated person can read, on average, 6-7,000 characters. Chinese speakers use the left and right side of the brain, according to some U.K. research by Wellcome Trust, while English speakers only use the left side of their brain. The World Factbook states that in 2000, the literacy rate was 90.9% overall, which I think is fairly impressive, after my limited experience studying them! While I'm definitely still illiterate here, it is exciting when I recognize a couple characters here and there when I'm out and about.
some characters etched in stone