Friday, January 11, 2008

The Birthday Trash Truck

I woke up on my birthday looking forward to singing Happy Birthday to myself, with the accompaniment of the obnoxious garbage trucks that play the tune as they drive around the city. A small fear lurked deep down in my heart, the fear that I wouldn't encounter any of these trucks on my birthday, only adding to the sounds of the city 364 days of the year, but not on January 6th. Dismissing the fear as highly improbable, I celebrated my birthday with phone calls from home, an ice cream cake, Indian food for dinner, going to the elementary school, and some jewelry from my family. Soon after I set foot outside to go to a friend's apartment, my ears perked up as I heard the familiar song I had hoped to hear that day! I think I might even have sung out loud, because hearing that song so often has made me look forward to my birthday since I arrived in August!
Check out that cake! The candle is pretty awesome too!

No comments:

Post a Comment