Monday, July 7, 2008

Change versus routine

I did a values exercise a few weeks ago, and discovered one of my highest values is structure, while another is change and variety. That was sort of confusing for me, since it seems that those are opposite. I'm finding that it's true, though...I can see those values playing out in my language learning.

For example, I've been in language class since the end of February - 4 1/2 months. I know I learn Chinese best when I have the structure of class to compliment outside learning. When I have some sort of scaffolding, or compartment, to put new words or grammar, I'm able to remember them better. When the structure isn't there, it's a lot harder for me to learn new things in daily life and remember those things. But at the same time, I'm so ready for a break from class! I get super restless sitting in the same room for 3 hours a day, going through a textbook. Summer is here! Why am I still in class? Vacation and travel awaits around the corner, and it seems like it can't come fast enough!

I get organized and create a learning schedule and work on little projects that help me learn Chinese and love that. I get in this rhythm and I'm learning new grammar and reviewing old vocab and reading characters and nobody can stop me...for a while. Then all of a sudden, I reach this point where that drives me crazy, and I scrap it and don't study, I just talk with my tutor instead of doing what I prepared for us to work on together, and have to work really hard to convince myself to go to class.

It's probably a really good thing I studied education in college so someday when I decide to grow up and get a job, it's not a 9-5 desk job doing the same thing day in and day out. I still plan on having summer break for a while, and I hope to make good use of the change in routine!

This is the last week of class (can you tell!?!), and the summer will go by really fast, I'm sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if, when Sept 1 rolls around, I'm ready, or almost ready to get back into the routine of having class again!

No comments:

Post a Comment