Sunday, October 19, 2008

A "Typical" Day

There's nothing like a "normal" day here, but I thought I would combine several days to show what a day in the life might like look like here.

7:00 alarm clock goes off, shower, eat breakfast, make quick call home to family or friends
8:45 take the elevator 23 floors down, ride my bike to school
9:00 one-on-one tutor, practice pronunciation
10:10 class with 3 other Americans, read a story about a Chinese festival and talk about the holiday as well as the vocab and grammar in the story
12:00 meet friends for lunch
1:30 take a power nap
2:00 study - characters, vocab, grammar, prepare for the next day's class
5:00 go for a run
6:30 dinner at home
7:30 check email, read, watch movie, hang out with friends, go grocery shopping, whatever needs to be done
11-12:00 go to bed

Update: I wrote this last week, then looked at it just now, and it definitely is the "ideal" typical day...it didn't happen any single day this week. Every day is an adventure! I never know what's going to happen or what's not going to happen. If you live overseas, or ever have before, I'm sure you know that things always take longer than they do in the States. When I go grocery shopping, for example, it's a couple-hour-long process, just because I have to try and read the characters to make sure I'm buying sugar and not salt or some other Chinese concoction, and I have to go to several places: a grocery store, a fruit store, a vegetable store, and a whole separate place to buy meat, and I'm doing all of this with my bike or walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment