Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Not Bad...

WQ: Let's have a party next weekend.
me: ok! What kind of party?
WQ: I don't know...hmmm.
me: hmmm.
WQ: Well, I have an idea! I've never had steak before, and I think I would like to try it!
me: Sounds good to me. We can make it ourselves, and then you can see how to make it, too!
WQ: Cool!

The week after that conversation took place, WQ and 5 of her friends came over to my apartment for a steak dinner. Here's what I was picturing: grill some savory steaks, put together a nice salad, and serve some mashed potatoes on the side. Yumm!

Not what they were thinking! Just before coming, WQ called and told me they had just finished buying meat and vegetables for hot pot. This is a picture of hot pot:
You cook your own food - vegetables and thin slices of meat- in boiling broth and eat it as you go. It's not bad tasting, but it's no steak, that's for sure. That was my first disappointment. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. Or that's what I kept trying to convince myself!

The next disappointment came when I went downstairs to meet them. Not knowing how many people there would be, I held off on buying the salad and potatoes. When I told them I needed to stop in a little shop and buy some other things to go with the steak, they made it clear that they planned on having hot pot as the main meal, and just wanted to try the steak beforehand. Steak as an appetizer? Seemed kind of strange to me, but that's what they wanted, so I tried to be flexible. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Or that's what I kept trying to convince myself!

Since it was a little chilly (and for the sake of convenience), S set up the tiny grill in my kitchen, opened the window and turned on the vent, where he grilled our delicious steaks, along with a mushroom topping. They were incredible!
Our friends really liked them, too, even though cutting them was a little bit of a challenge for some.
Meanwhile, while the steaks were being grilled and vegetables being washed for hot pot, games ensued in my living room. I came out at one point to see a strange scene. Not bad, but not what I was expecting!


Apparently they were playing some game in which the loser had to stick wet tissue to his or her face! The result at the end of the game:


Although it wasn't what I was expecting, I did have a lot of fun, and I think they did too. I've learned that rigid expectations here almost always lead to disappointment, while flexibility lends itself to adventure, surprise, and lots of laughing.

Now, for that nice steak dinner...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment