Monday, November 12, 2007

Why don't Chinese people speak Spanish?

It happens all the time. When I try to think of Spanish words, just to make sure I haven't forgotten all that I have studied, I struggle to come up with coherent sentences. I just can't think of the right words. Chinese comes to my mind.

But when I can't think of how to say something in Chinese, what comes to my mind? Yup, that's right. Spanish. Those six years of studying in school, plus the summer in Argentina, pull through for me (unfortunately!). So this morning when I couldn't understand the other person's Chinese, I began to get flustered. I couldn't figure out how to convey my meaning, either, so I tried to think of a different way to say the same thing. Eventually, I found a way: Spanish. It didn't work too well, though, because she certainly didn't understand Spanish, and the mixture of Chinese and Spanish doesn't go together too well anyway! I realized after I said the combination sentence what I had done, with the help of her look of extreme confusion. So I laughed and tried again, this time using Chinese and nonverbal communication. I've found that combination works a little better than the Chinese/Spanish combination. Maybe if I keep trying, though... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment