Friday, November 30, 2007

Petty Theft

When I came to China, I was told that this city was known for its petty theft. I'm thankful that I've only seen this a few times, and experienced it even less than that. One of the first few weeks, someone tried to take my purse, which scared me into being more careful with my belongings. During my trip to Tianjin during October 1st holiday, a woman ahead of me was the victim of an unsuccessful pickpocketing attempt.

This week, though, petty theft took on a whole new definition. Or maybe this just falls in its own category. You'll have to decide for yourselves!

One day this week, I returned to my apartment to see three holes in my cement wall and an out-of-place emptiness. Back in September I wrote about my milk and yogurt mailbox, how every morning was like Christmas morning, going out and finding milk and yogurt in my little box mounted just outside my door. But now, alas, it's gone!I told my friend Sean, and he did his best to console me by telling me that maybe the delivery people came to get next month's orders, and since I wasn't there, took the mailbox, too. I thought that sounded a little farfetched, but did my best to believe the possibility, until the milkwoman came to my door a few days later and asked what happened to my box! I told her I didn't know, and she seemed as surprised as I was when I first discovered its disappearance! Until I get a new milk mailbox, I am receiving the milk and yogurt just outside my doorstep - hopefully nobody wants that!

Unfortunately for the new owner of the box, the contents had already been removed, so all he got was a locked metal box. I hope he or she realizes that just because one has a box doesn't mean that milk and/or yogurt are delivered daily.

The other thing I had stolen? My cell phone, which was answered by the proud new owner, who wouldn't return it.

No comments:

Post a Comment